I am in the process of applying a passport for Sachi and renewing hub’s passport. Lo and behold, just when I thought all will be a breeze with the  online appointment and delivery, I just realized that we have to amend 1) the birth certificate of the kiddo, and 2) amend hubby’s passport.

1) Amendment of the kid’s birth certificate

Legitimized children by subsequent marriage, should prepare the following ADDITIONAL requirements:

  • Marriage Certificate from the NSO in SECPA
  • Birth Certificate from NSO must be annotated

We have the Marriage Certificiate, but her Birth Certificate hasn’t been annotated just yet.

So how to annotate Birth Certificate? According to NSO FAQs site:

  1. Legitimation of children by subsequent marriage of parents shall be recorded in the civil registry office of the place where the birth was recorded. The requirements for registration of legitimation of illegitimate children are:
    • Certificate of Marriage;
    • Certificate of Live Birth of the child;
    • Acknowledgement (not required for illegitimate children born on or after August 3, 1988);
    • Affidavit of legitimation executed by both parents shall contain the following facts:
      1. The name of the parents;
      2. That at the time when child was conceived, the aforesaid parents could have contracted marriage, and that they subsequently contracted marriage;
      3. The date and place when such marriage was solemnized;
      4. The name of the officer who officiated the marriage;
      5. The city or municipality where such marriage was recorded;
      6. The name of the child to be legitimated, and the other facts of birth;
      7. The date and place where the birth of the child was registered; and
      8. The manner by which the child was acknowledged by the parents which may be in the child’s record of birth, in a will, a statement before a court of record, or any authentic writing. (not required for illegitimate children born on or after August 3, 1998)

Bottomline: We have to go to the Civil Registry Office and fix this! From there, we’ll see the next step I guess.

Here’s a copy of the Affidavit of Legitimation that I plan to use.

2) Amendment of hub’s passport name, subsequently his visa — I researched and found out that one has to reapply for another visa all over again. Uh oh. So what if it lacks one letter, right? We’d probably do this upon renewal of his visa.

As for me, I’d have to change my passport name as well because of change in marital status. And same has hubby’s, will do this upon my passport’s expiration next year.

For Change of Name and Change in Marital Status you may check this link, very informative!